Gottman Method Professional Training
Level 1 Workshop Outline and Objectives
Research-based instruction on the Gottman Method
Presented by Lisa Lund, CRC, MFT
Master Certified Gottman Therapist
Couples Workshop Leader
A Professional Retreat in the San Francisco Bay Area
Level I: Bridging the Couple Chasm
Gottman Couples Therapy - A New Research-Based Approach!
Next Workshop - Friday, September 15th - Saturday, September 16th, 2017
New Dates Coming Soon!
2 Day Training - 9am to 5pm - 12 CE Hours* for MFT’s, LCSW’s, Psychologists, and RN’s
This two-day workshop will prepare you to begin using the Gottman Method in your practice immediately.
Acqua Hotel - Mill Valley, Marin County, California - 5 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge!
Register Early - Assure your place at these retreat style trainings on the Bay!
8:30 - 8:50 am: Registration Check-In
9:00 am - 5:00 pm: Workshop
(Lunch on your own, 1.5hr)
The Research - What Makes Relationships Succeed or Fail?
• What is different about Gottman Method Couples Therapy
• What is dysfunctional about relationships when they are ailing
• The “Masters” and Disasters” of relationships: Exploding some common myths
• Negative and positive sentiment overrides
• Friendship, Intimacy, Positive Affect System
• The Shared Meaning System
• The Sound Relationship House Theory
The Assessment Sessions
Session 1 - Assessing the Couple Together
• Couple’s Narrative
• Oral History Interview
• Videotape: A 10 minute Conflict Interaction
• Ending Session 1 - Preparing Couple for Individual Sessions - No secrets
• Assessment: Written Questionnaires
Session 2 - Individual Sessions
Session 3 - The Therapeutic Contract: Discussing and Deciding about Goals.
Summary of Strengths and Areas that Need Improvement.
Assessment and film.
Day One Conclusion - Q and A
9:00 am - 5:00 pm: Workshop
(Lunch on your own 1.5hr.)
Introduction to Intervention
• Assumptions of the Therapy
• Overview of the Therapy
• Goals of the Therapy
• Rapoport Intervention and film
• Ending the Four Horsemen and film
• Dreams Within Conflict and film
• Building the Basic Skills (Softened Start-up, Accepting Influence, Repair and De-escalation,
Physiological Soothing, Compromise)
• Aftermath of a Fight and film
Building Friendship and Shared Meaning
• Build Love Maps and film
• Turn Towards: The Stress-Reducing Conversation and film
• Build Rituals of Connection and film
• Create Shared Meaning and film
Process of the Therapy
•Structure of a Typical Session
•What the Therapist Can Say
•The Domino Theory of Emotion
• What’s Next: Additional Training
• Workshop Conclusion - Q and A
Participants will be able to:
1. Summarize the research that allows prediction of future relationship stability with 94% accuracy
2. Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory
3. Conduct a couple's therapy assessment using elements of the couple's narrative, the Oral History
Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict, and individual interviews
4.Describe two interventions for each: to help strengthen a couple's management of conflict; to enhance a
couple's friendship system; and to explore a couple's system of shared meaning.
Who Should Attend?
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from our training:
• Mental health providers
• Allied professionals and clergy
• Students and interns
• Family clinic staff
• Professors/teachers of couples therapy
• Researchers in the social sciences
• Employee assistance professionals
*Note: For More Info on Continuing Education Credits -
*CE Credits - CE’s - See Registration Page
Gottman Professional Training
Workshop Outline and Objectives... Who Should Attend
The Gottman Method...
Integrate research-based methods to maximize your competence and inspire transformation.
Receive a 300-page
Clinical Manual featuring
new relationship assessment questionnaires and clinical interventions - a $150 value.
See on film
Dr. Julie Gottman
use all of the main
a real couple.
Receive a certificate of completion from the
For those interested in
pursuing Gottman certification,
this 2-day workshop fulfills
the Level 1 requirement.
Site Map Links - See Top for Streamlined Navigation
© 2013-2016 Lisa Lund - All Rights Reserved. Information © 2013-2016 The Gottman Institute - Used by Permission.
Website design by Therapy-Web-Presence.com