Lisa Lund, CRC, MFT
Master Certified Gottman Therapist
Couples Workshop Leader
8:30 am - 8:50 am: Registration Check-In
9:00 am - 5:00 pm: Level 1 Workshop
(Lunch on your own)
The Research - What Makes Relationships Succeed or Fail?
• What is different about Gottman Method Couples Therapy
• What is dysfunctional about relationships when they are ailing
• The “Masters” and Disasters” of relationships: Exploding some common myths
• Negative and positive sentiment overrides
• Friendship, Inimacy, Positive Affect System
• The Shared Meaning System
• The Sound Relationship House Theory
The Assessment Sessions
Session 1 - Assessing the Couple Together
• Couple’s Narrative
• Oral History Interview
• Videotape: A 10 minute Conflict Interaction
• Ending Session 1 - Preparing Couple for Individual Sessions - No secrets
• Assessment: Written Questionnaires
Session 2 - Individual Sessions
Session 3 - The Therapeutic Contract:
• Discussing and Deciding about Goals.
• Summary of Strengths and Areas that Need Improvement.
• Assessment and film.
Day One Conclusion - Q and A
9:00 am - 5:00 pm: Workshop
(Lunch on your own)
Introduction to Intervention
• Assumptions of the Therapy
• Overview of the Therapy
• Goals of the Therapy
• Rapoport Intervention and film
• Ending the Four Horsemen and film
• Dreams Within Conflict and film
• Building the Basic Skills (Softened Start-up, Accepting Influence, Repair and De-escalation,
Physiological Soothing, Compromise)
• Aftermath of a Fight and film
Building Friendship and Shared Meaning
• Build Love Maps and film
• Turn Towards: The Stress-Reducing Conversation and film
• Build Rituals of Connection and film
• Create Shared Meaning and film
Process of the Therapy
• Structure of a Typical Session
• What the Therapist Can Say
• The Domino Theory of Emotion
• What’s Next: Additional Training
• Workshop Conclusion - Q and A
Participants will be able to:
1. Summarize the research that allows prediction of future relationship stability with 94% accuracy
2. Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory
3. Conduct a couple's therapy assessment using elements of the couple's narrative, the Oral History
Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict, and individual interviews
4. Describe two interventions for each: to help strengthen a couple's management of conflict; to enhance a
couple's friendship system; and to explore a couple's system of shared meaning.
Who Should Attend?
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from our training:
• Mental health providers
• Allied professionals and clergy
• Students and interns
• Family clinic staff
• Professors/teachers of couples therapy
• Researchers in the social sciences
• Employee assistance professionals
Note: For More Info on Continuing Education Credits - CE Credits - CE’s - See Registration Page
Payment plans available thru PayPal!
See Registration page for details!
The Level 1 workshops are presented in a “Professional Retreat” setting just minutes north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge at the Acqua Hotel in Mill Valley along the Richardson Bay - part of the greater San Francisco Bay waterfront. Please see registration for venue photo’s and more information. See our “Retreats” page for lodging suggestions and make your Gottman Training a Professional Retreat!
Level 1 Workshop Outline and Objectives... Who Should Attend
The Gottman Method...
Integrate research-based methods to maximize your competence and inspire transformation.
Receive a 300-page
Clinical Manual featuring
new relationship assessment questionnaires and clinical interventions - a $150 value.
See on film
Dr. Julie Gottman
use all of the main
a real couple.
Receive a certificate of completion from the
For those interested in
pursuing Gottman certification,
this 2-day workshop fulfills
the Level 1 requirement.